Feb 20, 2018
The MBA in Applied Management is designed to provide a personalized educational experience that meets the unique needs of the business community in western South Dakota. It recognizes the importance of face-to-face interactions for areas businesses and their employees to foster long-term relationships with BHSU faculty members. Theses associations will go beyond the typical teacher-learner relationship to strengthen the foundation for economic development partnerships in the Black Hills region.
The MBA in Applied Management is intended to facilitate the career development of working professionals and others seeking a career in management. Students with undergraduate training in business or other fields with two or more years of professional experience are eligible to apply for admission. The degree will provide a structured learning environment that will engage and encourage participants to share their collective professional knowledge-base and skill set.
Graduate Student Outcomes
As a result of successfully completing BHSU’s MBA in Applied Management, students will demonstrate the capacity to:
- apply integrated knowledge of entrepreneurship, business law, finance & accounting, human resource management, information technology, and marketing in a global arena
- use quantitative and qualitative tools to solve problems, make decisions and execute strategic plans
- employ legal and ethical diligence when critically analyzing concerns and challenges to reach reasonable resolutions
- articulate and apply an understanding of internal, external and technological resources to lead and manage people engaged in the competitive global business environment of the 21st century
Applicants must submit:
- Online graduate studies application
- Official transcripts documenting Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution.
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from a supervisor in a professional work environment.
- Detailed resume outlining education, professional work experience, and other career development activities.
- Writing sample in the form of a personal essay responding to the following:
- Why have you decided to pursue the BHSU MBA in Applied Management.
- Describe an ethical dilemma you have faced and how you resolved the issues.
- Describe an innovative idea that you have put into practice, the challenges you faced and how it was accomplished.
- GMAT score (required. Must be taken within 5 years of student’s first semester)
- Evidence of one of the following:
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Completion of the following courses or their equivalent:
- ACCT 210 (Principles of Accounting I)
- ACCT 211 (Principles of Accounting II )
- BADM 310 (Business Finance)
- BADM 360 (Organization and Management)
- BADM 370 (Marketing)
- ECON 201 (Principles of Microeconomics)
Additional admissions criteria:
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0*
- Satisfactory GMAT score
- The MBA admissions committee retains the right to require a World Education Services (WES) transcript evaluation for an applicant if such an evaluation is deemed necessary.
*Those with undergraduate GPAs under 3.0 may still be admitted, given an above satisfactory GMAT score. All applicants are judged on their entire set of application materials.
The MBA in Applied Management will consist of 36 graduate level contact hours (twelve courses) followed by 3 credit-hour supervised practicum/internship. The MBA courses are taught by full-time faculty in the College of Business and Technology who have earned doctorates related to the coursework they teach, a history of sustained intellectual contributions, and/or higher level executive experience. Each faculty member is classified under AACSB standards as academically qualified or professional qualified to teach graduate business administration courses. The MBA program received approvals from the Higher Learning Commission and the South Dakota Board of Regents.