Feb 26, 2020
Project SELECT and Project SECOND are Post-Bachelor’s Certification Programs leading to a Master of Science in Secondary Education. Individuals who have degrees from accredited colleges or universities that could lead to teaching in secondary content areas and have a grade point average of 2.6 or higher are eligible. Scucessful completion of teacher certification is required in order for the Master of Science in Secondary Education to be awarded. Students in the Master’s degree program must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher in all graduate courses.
Project SELECT is for people who:
- are able to complete a rigorous full-time, ten-month program
- who can complete the teacher candidate internship (student teaching) in schools in the Rapid City area.
Project SECOND is for people who:
- work full time or live at a distance or in rural areas and do not have easy access to a college campus
- have a high probability of obtaining teaching positions in their local areas
- are able to complete a rigorous online one-year program with a cohort of their peers
How to Apply to Project SELECT and Project SECOND
For Project SELECT, contact Susan D’Aniello Susan.Daniello@BHSU.edu
For Project SECOND, contact Liz Fayer Liz.Fayer@BHSU.edu
- Email a copy of your unofficial transcripts with a request to evaluate them for eligibility to Micheline Nelson, Director of Field Experiences at BHSU, at Micheline.Nelson@BHSU.edu. Follow as soon as possible with official transcripts sent directly to Ms. Nelson from the institution that awarded your bachelor’s degree.
- Apply to Project SELECT or Project SECOND upon eligibility to participate. The application is available at www.BHSU.edu/ProjectSELECT or www.BHSU.edu/ProjectSECOND.
- Register for the Praxis Content Knowledge test indicated on your transcript review. For more information on the Praxis exams, go to www.ets.org. Under Praxis select South Dakota for information including registration, test dates, and other testing information.
- Mail three professional letters of recommendation to the appropriate director or coordinator:
Dr. Susan D’Aniello, Project SELECT Director
University Center-Rapid City
4300 Cheyenne Blvd.
PO Box 250
Rapid City, SD 57709
Dr. Liz Fayer, Project SECOND Coordinator
1200 University St. Unit 9004
Spearfish SD 57799-9004
- Complete interview scheduled by the coordinator.
- Apply to BHSU at www.BHSU.edu/Apply and select Graduate, specifying the MS in Secondary Education.
How to Move to Full Admission to Teacher Preparation Program and Master’s Degree
- Complete Praxis content knowledge test with passing scores by August.
- Successfully complete the pre-professional coursework with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Complete the application packet for admission to the Professional Teacher Preparation Program. The form specific to Project SELECT or Project SECOND will be mailed to you from the BHSU Office of Field Experiences.